Friday, February 5, 2010

The video clip we watched on Tuesday focused on body image and how ads and the media leads us to have an unrealistic idea of what we should look like. I completely agree that shoving images of the few perfect people in the world in our faces lowers our self-esteem and makes us worry entirely too much about what we look like. If it wasn't for the media, people in America would not put so much focus on body image. After watching this I started taking a closer look at the ads I see. In most of them, women are portrayed as objects. We can't change the things we see, but we can realize that the models we see are not reality and there is no need to try to look like them. The more women respect themselves and come to peace with the way they look, the more men will respect them and stop treating them as sexual objects, the way ads and the media do. In the clips we watched Thursday Hooks made some good points about racial stereotypes and white supremicy. I personally am not racist, nor feel above anyone of color, so I didn't really feel as though I got much out of the clips. However, I do think it's important to be aware of these issues in our society.

3 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about how they portray models. Although when I look at magazines with the really skinny and about half sick looking models I wish I could look like that but I never really want to go through what some people go through to make that happen. Its one of those things that some people don't really think about. Would you rather be healthy and a little "thick" or be sick and skinny as a rail. Ultimately I think that the way they portray women could be done a little differently so that those who feel the need to do everything in their power to be thin aren't as easily effected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's terrible that so many women look at models and women in advertisements and compare themselves to them. I don't think it's right. I agree that if it wasn't like that, then men would have more respect for the way women look and women would feel better about themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading your blog, as well as others, I think that those video clips and class discussion has made us all think a little harder about ads. I believe your right, we are portrayed as objects and if we are more aware, maybe we won't buy into the idea of having to look like a model. I hope that soon advertisements will show what real women look like and still feel like its beautiful.

    ReplyDelete